Feb 26, 2015

Book Review - "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug

Don't Make Me Think bookI love to develop software. That is one of the places where I can find my "tov." One aspect of software development that always bothered me was my belief that I could not excel at all areas of the software development life cycle. Let me explain...


If we visualize a software application and break it down in conceptual layers, we could divide that application in the following order:
  • User Interface
  • User Interface Logic
  • Business Logic
  • Data Access Logic
  • Database
Many software professionals work well on all the layers. Some of us choose to specialize on a few of the layers and really good work.  In my case, I used to feel much more comfortable analyzing a domain and designing a solution for it across the bottom 4 layers (UI Logic, Business Logic, Data Access Logic and Database).  I used to consider myself "average" on the User Interface one. I used to think "well I'm not an artist; therefore, I'm not going to be able to put together a good UI."

Fortunately for me, I was wrong.  

After reading the book "Don't Make Me Think", by Steve Krug, I realized that designing a good user experience it is not ONLY about having an artistic eye.  There are many aspects that need / must come together in order to achieve fantastic user experiences.

This book will make you "think" about building user interfaces that engage and capture the attention of users. It focuses on the power of asking questions.  Simple yet powerful questions about usability.  For me, Krug cleared away the feelings I had about needing to wear a black beret, a tiny goatee and cool-looking, round frame glasses in order to be able to create engaging, useful applications.

After reading Krug's book. I started to seek and devour UX-related resources. I felt encouraged and empowered to awaken more creating abilities within me.  My "tov" overflows!

Learning UX: Give it a try... it may unlock the hipster within.

If you have read Krug's book, please, leave a comment and tell us about your experience. Also, if you have used other UX resources... share away!

No comments: